Sunday, August 7, 2011

God´s language -- the language of love

I can´t believe it´s only been a day and a half in Loyola (plus about 20 hours of traveling from New York). So far, Magis has been overwhelming, joyous, intimidating, blessed, mind-blowing, chaotic, and wonderful all at the same time.

Yesterday, we started with a multi-lingual morning prayer in Ignatius´ backyard (for lack of a better word). The Bishop of San Sebastian said something that framed my experience thus far. He essentially said, ¨Ignatius studied all different languages. All of us here speak different languages. But there is one language that we all understand-- the language of love.¨ Throughout the day, I felt that love, God´s love, in the way that St. Paul describes it in 1 Corinthians 13. In one day, I danced with Kenyans; danced for Tanzanians; played games with people across the world; had an in-depth conversation with a man from Nairobi; learned more about my fellow Fordham pilgrims; had a very open breakfast conversation about my faith and politics with a student from South Carolina; and joked with Lebanese students and the Egyptian Lebanese priest chaperoning their trip. Every person with whom I´ve interacted has been welcoming and non-judgmental. Every person has been genuinely interested in who I am and I have been interested in every person who I have met. It may sound cliche, but --- every person has reminded me of how God sees me. He´s genuinely intrigued by and interested in me. The Bishop´s words seemed to permeate throughout the day as we all openly and beautifully welcomed each person for who they are.

One thing has blown my mind. We are all here for one reason. We all share this language of love for one reason. We all care for one reason. And that is our faith in God. This one thought has been with me since last night after reflecting on the day. I´m still grappling with this overwhelming, international, cross-cultural unity. It´s incredible.


I want to share one quote that I found and have been praying over. ¨In its essence, seeking has to do with our profoundest desires. If we let Him, God teaches us to desire whatever is better for our lives and those of others.¨


Much love from Spain,
Anna

3 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!! GAHHHHHHHHH hahahah you guys are so awesome :) :) :)

    this sounds incredible, can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING!!

    Do me a favor...bring this love back home with ya, I think the world could use a little more of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May our lord Jesus Christ blesses you and your, so far, wonderful experience for his glory as every one of you is his ambassador and a mirror to reflect his LOVE.Enjoy this holy trip.
    E.Shaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAY GOD BLESS THE FORDHAM WYD TEAM THROUGHOUT THE PILGRIMAGE. MAY YOU ALL, THROUGH YOUR PRAYERS, HELP THE YOUTH OF THE WORLD TO FIND JESUS AND MARY.
    WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU!
    MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
    LOVE
    ISABEL AND RICKY (MICHAEL MARTINEZ'S PARENTS)

    ReplyDelete