Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Journey Half Over

Greetings from Vigo!

I can´t believe that Magis is almost over- it simultaneously feels like we just got here and that we´ve been here for months. I am here in Vigo with Carol, Tom, Alexis, Casey, and John H. for a musical experience. Since this is my first update on the blog, I feel overwhelmed by the number of things I would love to share, but I´ll try to pick out some of my favorite moments.

Loyola was BEAUTIFUL! It was so humbling to be staying in the sanctuary at Loyola itself and thinking about how Ignatius had walked on the same ground hundreds of years ago. The energy and atmosphere created by the gathering of pilgrims from all over the world was intoxicating- there was no way to NOT be swept up in the spirit of love and communion.

Mass on Sunday was said by the Father General, and the Fordham group had great seats near the front. Since we were off to the side, we were quite surprised when Father General walked over to distribute the Eucharist to our section! I have to admit that receiving the Eucharist was a bit overwhelming, and I started to tear up as I realized just how special this once in a lifetime journey truly is.

After what turned out to be a 10 hour journey to Vigo on Monday, we began participating in numerous workshops about all aspects of music, including singing, dancing, and composition. Currently, each of the groups (American, Spanish, and Hungarian) are recording songs we have composed ourselves, so this is sure to be interesting...

One of my favorite moments here in Vigo was having mass on the beach. We waited until after the sun had gone down and all of the other beach goers had left and then gathered around in a circle on the sand. We created a makeshift altar with a blanket and a box, and Fr. Jim spoke about God providing what we need so long as we trust in Him. When it came time for the Kiss of Peace, everyone hugged and kissed, and it struck me how close you can grow to people in a few short days.

There´s so much more I´d love to share, bu this is getting a little long so I´ll end here. Love & Peace to everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment